Wednesday, November 18, 2009

WP3: Blog Post 1


I have very little experience in writing about art objects. This may be due to the fact that I was raised in Broken Bow, Nebraska, where art and sculptures are not something you see everyday. Most of my high school english classes required to write about books, trips, famous people, or a political issue. We never did anything with art or sculptures, for the simple fact that Broken Bow has very few. My closest writing about a sculpture was our class period about the Birch. The big tree sculpture on campus. It is interesting looking at a piece of artwork and trying to figure out what the artist wanted us to think or feel about their artwork. With Birch, I felt like it stood out from the rest of the summer trees. Here is this shiny tree silver, dead-looking tree amongst all of these beautiful green summer trees. It gave off a deathly feeling. Now, to pass by the tree it blends in with the rest of the trees, because the trees have all lost their leaves. Maybe thats what the artist wanted. For it to stand out, but also blend in with the certain seasons.
I am glad that we are doing this project, of dealing with pieces of art. It will broaden my lack of knowledge about artwork and sculptures. Hopefully I can learn from this project, and maybe continue to keep writing about pieces of art. Also, this will help with appreciating artwork. I often walk past a piece of artwork and think, "Wow, that's weird." Hopefully, I can change my outlook on pieces of artwork with the third writing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment